Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No Zero Policy

I have been reflecting on a no zero policy that was described in a magazine. Basically, it is that you simply don't allow students to get a zero. At first, I thought, well it is the student's responsibility to make sure that they get their assignments in and that a no zero policy would allow them to shirk their responsibility. Then I decided to try it with a student. Even after giving him another chance, he still did not get his homework in. So, being frustrated, I assigned him detention in which he was required to do his homework. His homework was done by the end of detention. I told my principal what I had done and he told the student in front of me that if he didn't get his other work done then he would have to spend more time in detention. Then I realized that the student was having to pay a consequence for not turning in his homework on time and not just getting away with not doing it. I like the no zero policy now because I can see that students at this age (high school) often don't know what they are doing to themselves. I would protect them from a predator that would hurt them. I should also protect them from themselves. I don't want their education hurt because of their ignorance of the consequences of their actions.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Wow. That sounds great. My only question would be how it would work at a really large school. I wonder if they would have enough room in the detention hall!!!!

terrih said...

I have heard some really powerful and creative ways that principals and teachers have worked towards the "no zero" policy. For example, one school in Weatherford, TX, had a Friday night detention in which all students who had zeroes from the week were required to attend the detention. Teachers were rotated throughout the school year and had assigned dates and times of their presence at the Friday night detention. It started out as something that was dreaded by all, teachers included. But by the end of the school year, they found that there were less and less students involved in it and those that were then had an opportunity to receive help from a teacher (not necessarily their own). This gave them a better understanding of all of the instructors on campus, and it gave the instructors a better understanding of the students that attended their own school.

Jacob Sisson said...

I have tried a no zero tolerance policy. It is very challenging and often requires more work on my part. I agree that students are failing simply from ignorance and lack of doing. That identication reflects no thought or assessment of knowledge. Keep trying this, students need to know that in the real world there are no zero policies and fulfilling the task is the ultimate responsibility.

lynn said...

Sounds like a great plan to teach accountability and responsibility. Homework is not an option, but a requirement. Way to go!!