Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Are parents responsible

In the education field, I and many I have heard have often blamed parents for not training and instilling the proper values in our children so that they will be good students and good citizens. I have come to realize that many parents do not have that training or the values to teach their children. Because of this, the cannot be expected to know what they are not training their children. Parents need to be educated. Since we need to teach their children, then perhaps we need to teach parents what students need when they come to school and what they need for support when they are at home. But my question is, how do you do that?

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I think it really has to be a community effort. It can't just be the school administrators or teachers. I have parents that seem scared to talk to the school, like they are still kids getting scolded by adults.It is sad that they feel that way because most teachers want to be helpful. I think organizing events where you invite the parents in for activities educate them, but you have to get them there first. Something I heard the other day comes to mind "I haven't met a parent yet who wants there child to fail."

Jacob Sisson said...

Parents are my greatest battle. They often become frustrated because they are misinformed, we must be patience and teach them the expectations of what they should know.

lynn said...

Parents are blamed for everything. Children have the free will to behave in any manner they would like to. People must be taught that they are responsible for their actions they cannot go around blaming others for the things that they do. If parents this or if parents that...In reality kids are in school for more hours than they are at home. Sometimes I believe it is just easier to blame the parents than to do anything else. Sometimes we can work with parents and sometimes we work in spite of parents.